tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 02 18:24:52 2001

RE: mI' bom, Dap je/ KLBC

pIl'o' said:

>   Dapbe van bomvam jay'!

As I pointed out in my reply to Skippy, {Dap} is actually a noun, not a
verb. So this should be:
{Dap 'oHbe' van bomvam'e' jay'!} "This anthem (tribute-song) is not @#$!
nonsense!"

I think what ghunchu'wI' meant was that some people don't know what they're
singing when they sing {taHjaj wo'}, so to them the song is just nonsense.
He wasn't calling {taHjaj wo'} nonsense, per se.

> *Baltimore-Daq  Qangqor bom  vIbomta'.

majQa'.
I'm pretty sure that Captain Krankor spells his name {Qanqor}, using {n}
instead of {ng}.

> bom'a' naQ vIbomta'. nom bom ghoghwIj
> jatlIj je.

maj.  Dojlaw' ghoghlIj.  Qatlh ('ej QaQ) bomvam.

Minor typo - I think you want {jatwIj} ("my tongue") instead of {jatlIj}
("your tongue").

>  mI'chu'pu'   yablIj!

Again, watch out for switching {-lIj} and {-wIj}.

> navDaq  mu'mey vIpoQbe'.  bomvam  wab vISov.  bom mu'mey
> vIyaj.

maj!  <taHjaj wo'> tlhegh wejDIch vISovchu'be' jIH. jIngornIS, 'ej nav
vIlaDnIS.

> mu'Daj  vImugh poQ Qangqor,  ghIq  vIghojmeH   *recording  munob.

Here, you want to use the pronoun {'e'} ("that", referring to the previous
sentence).  Krankor demanded the entire action of "you translate his words."
{mu'Daj vImugh} "I translate his word(s)"
{'e' poQ Qanqor} "Krankor demanded that"
{mu'Daj vImugh 'e' poQ Qanqor} "Krankor demanded that I translate his
word(s)"

> loQ ngo' Hol lo' Qangqor 'e' vIyaj.

Here, you used {'e'} fine. However, the first sentence tries to use two
verbs simultaneously, {ngo'} and {lo'}. You'll have to choose which one to
use as the main verb:

If the main verb will be {lo'} ("use"), then you can correct it this way:
{loQ Hol ngo' lo' Qanqor} "Krankor used the old language slightly"
or
{loQ ngo'bogh Hol lo' Qanqor} "Krankor used the language which was slightly
old"

Or, you can use {ngo'} ("be old") as the main verb:
{loQ ngo' Hol lo'bogh Qanqor} "The language which Krankor used was slightly
old"
In this case, you may want to add the suffix {-'e'} onto {Hol}. This will
say that the "language which Krankor uses" is old, rather than "the Krankor
that uses the language" is old.

>  *verb <tuQmoHbe'Daq> "-ghach" mojaq  lo'.

I see what you're trying to say here - "He used the suffix {-ghach} on a
naked verb."
However, *{tuQmoHbe'Daq} doesn't really work here. It doesn't quite mean
"naked". Also, a Klingon probably would just wonder why a verb would wear
clothing in the first place. :-) I'd suggest rewording this sentence, as:
"He used the suffix {-ghach}, on a verb which lacked other suffixes."

Also, we do have a word for "verb"; it's {wot}.

> motlhbe'  lo'vam.
>
> *Sakrej Sep Dab Qangqor 'e' vIHar.

qarbej. The tlhIngan Hol spelling of the Sakrej region is {Sa'Qej Sep},
mentioned on page 17 of KGT.

> reHbe' ta' Hol lo nuvpu'vetlh.

It sounds like you're trying to say "Those people don't always use the
emperor's language (i.e., standard Klingon dialect)". However, {reH}
("always") is an adverbial, and generally we can't add suffixes onto
adverbials.
The one exception is the suffix {-Ha'}, which sometimes is added to
adverbials (if the word makes sense), such as:
{Do'} "Luckily"
{Do'Ha'} "Unluckily"
{batlh} "Honorably"
{batlhHa'} "Dishonorably"

Also, since the subject of the verb here is "those people" and the object is
"the emperor's language", you need to use the verb prefix {lu-}.

So, to say "Those people don't always use the emperor's language", I'd
probably use the adverbial {rut} ("sometimes"):
{rut ta' Hol lulo'be' nuvpu'vetlh}"Sometimes, those people don't use the
emperor's language"

> *Farpoint lopno'Daq Qangqor Qor'etlh DloraH je tlhejta' ghoghwIj.
> 'ach vIbomchu'be'.

No problems here.

> *vowels vIHoH ja'pu' Qangqor pab 'ulth.

You probably want to put the verb prefix {mu-} ("he - me") on {ja'pu'} ("he
had told her"), since he's telling you.

qay'be'. bIbommo', yIHem!

- taD