tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 18 12:16:36 2001

Re: KLBC: vulqangan mu'ghom

qonwI':
: jIQochbe'bej, 'ach Daj vulqangan *culture*. vIHaD 'e' vIparHa'.  :)

To translate "culture", we have several options:

 nugh  "society (group of people with a shared culture)" KGT

  "Note that nugh society has a much broader meaning: a group of people
   with a shared culture. Accordingly, {tlhIngan nugh} would mean Klingon
   society as distinguished from, say, Romulan society, but {tlhIngan
   yej'an} would probably be The Klingon Society, a group dedicated to
   the study of Klingons." (MO, HolQeD 4.4)

 tayqeq  "civilization"

 tlham  "order, structure (societal)" [slang!]

 tIgh  "custom"

   tlhIngan tIgh
   "The Klingon Way"  [TKW title]

   "You outsiders see only our fierceness, our love of battle. You
    do not see the {tIgh}, the honor, that shapes our every act."
    [Gowron, in KCD novelization, p.10]

 ghob  "ethics, virtue" KGT

  "A virtue is a particularly valued quality or a form of behavior
   that exemplifies moral correctness, as defined by a society...
   Indeed, the Klingon word {ghob} may be translated as ethics or
   virtue, linguistic evidence that the concept is not unknown or
   never discussed among the Klingons themselves. It is probably
   significant that the Klingon word for do battle, or wage war is
   likewise {ghob}. Though some, perhaps many, of a society's virtues
   are represented in its legal codes, a virtue is not a law. A
   violation of a virtue need not carry with it any legal sanction.
   A virtue does not even have to be followed all the time to still
   be considered a virtue. What is important is that members of the
   society agree that the virtue represents what should be done, even
   if it is not done. When a virtue is ignored, all recognize the
   transgression, even if there are no immediate consequences."
   (TKW p. vii)

 - tlhIngan ghobmey paq
   The Klingon Book of Virtues
   [the original or working title of TKW acc. to MARC-CIP cataloging]

Of these, {nugh} or {tayqeq} seem to be the best fit for qonwI's sentence.
YMMV.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons