tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 10 10:55:45 2001

RE: no'

Obviously, the INFORMATIVE part of this is that {no'} is grammatically
singular, not plural. Okrand was explaining why this is {yIquvmoH} and not
{tIquvmoH}. It says nothing about whether or not the direct object of
{yIquvmoH} is considered to be capable of using language. Replace {no'} with
{qorDu'} and you have a better parallel, since English has a singular noun
representing the group "family", while we lack a singular noun representing
the group "ancestors".

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level