tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 07 19:27:37 2001

Re: no'

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
>It's not uninformative.  It gives a translation using "him/her" instead of
>"it", clearly implying that {no'} is people.

The English translation is not necessarily indicative of the Klingon
grammar. In English, an ancestor is indubitably a "he" or a "she," not
an "it." However, this may or may not be the case in Klingon. For
example, in English, we might say, "I don't like my targ because HE is
stupid." In Klingon, one would say: {targhwIj vIpar QIpmo'.} This may
not be the best example, but it demonstrates my point.

However, I do agree that {no'} should be treated as a being capable of
language.

                                        DujHoD
                                        [email protected]

Back to archive top level