tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 26 00:15:37 2001

RE: Research question concerning negation

>And I'm
>having difficulty asking in Klingon, "What did the child do with the food?"
>Interesting problem. We don't have any question words that replace a verb
>in
>a sentence. Okrand has missed an opportunity to come up with a question
>word
>in Klingon that doesn't exist in English. Now THAT would have been
>interesting.

Why not use this? {chay' Soj lo' puq?} I've noticed a few phrases in English
that work better by asking {chay'}. Like in TKD 6.4, {chay' jura'?} "What
are your orders?" which is literally "How do you command us?" Although, this
use of "how?" leaves room for ambiguity. For example, if a crew asked {chay'
jura'?}, a smart-aleck captain might reply {motlh nujwIj vIlo', 'ach rut
tlhIHvaD QIn vIqon neH.} "I usually use my mouth, but sometimes I'll just
write a message for you guys."