tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 23 17:39:29 2001

Re: Gutturals (was Re: qung "pun")

[email protected] said:
> Maybe I've been mispronouncing my gh's ? I thought that, as you said,
> the H is like the "ch" in "Nacht", meaning the sound that the IPA
> transcribes as "x". Then the gh would be the voiced counterpart as in
> "nicht", which is transcribed as a "c" with a tail (c-cedilla?). This
> would be the same sound that "human" starts with.

the <ich> sound is a voiceless *palatal* fricative (if you voice
it you get something like a hissing j (German) or y (English)),
it is nothing like any Klingon sound. Keep your tongue in the position
of <u> as in <Uhr> and spread your lips (this works better with a
German <u> than an English <oo>...) and you should be close to Klingon
<gh> (or, as Okrand describes, keep your tongue in the position of
Klingon <H> and vibrate your vocal chords)

					Marc Ruehlaender
					aka HomDoq
					[email protected]

Back to archive top level