tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 23 17:28:33 2001

Re: Gutturals (was Re: qung "pun")

> the Klingon {H} sounds similar to the German <ch> in <ach>,
> while the {gh} is similar to the fricative allophone of /r/
> which regularly occurs intervocalic (unless you trill your 'r's)
> e.g. <Guru> has this sound and the second syllable should be
> just like Klingon {ghu} (of course if you use tongue-tip
> allophones of /r/, it'll sound like {ru}, and if you use
> uvular trills, it'll not sound like Klingon at all... :)

Maybe I've been mispronouncing my gh's ?
I thought that, as you said, the H is like the "ch" in "Nacht",
meaning the sound that the IPA transcribes as "x".
Then the gh would be the voiced counterpart as in "nicht", which is
transcribed as a "c" with a tail (c-cedilla?).
This would be the same sound that "human" starts with.

Are we on the same page here, or do I have to go through the language
lab again?

Daniela

Back to archive top level