tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 23 19:46:25 2001

Re: Gutturals (was Re: qung "pun")

Oh dear, oh dear, oh deary me. I have been pronouncing the <<gh>> and <<H>>
as UVULAR fricatives (by analogy with <<q>> and <<Q>>). Looks like I'll have
to overhaul my pronunciation :)

BTW, I read somewhere the other day that the only languages to possess
uvular affricates such as that found in Klingon <<Q>> are Nez Perce,
Kabardian and Wolof. Does anyone have any further information regarding this
and whether the Klingon affricate may have been borrowed from a certain
language, or is this fact just one of those snippets I should file under
"interesting but useless information"?

Qapla' 'ej Satlho'

ro'Han