tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 11 18:00:26 2001

Re: Finger joke - found it!

----- Original Message ----- From: "TPO" <[email protected]>

> > The big one is called Seneca.  Among the next largest are, Skaneateles,
> > Cayuga, Keuka, and Canandaigua. I don't know how they are pronounced,
but
> > taking the first few letters I can make Sen, qay, qew and qan with no
> > trouble at all.  SIq is the only stretch, and not a hard one.
>
> klingon syllables are cvc.
> Skaneateles starts with two consonants.  You need to add a vowel.  The
vowel
> that my memory says MO uses most when inserting vowels is the I...
> S(I)kaneateles, SIq.
>
> They're not in order by size, they're not in geographical order.  I wonder
> what he used to determine which is which.
>DloraH

Looking at the MAP if you take the question and say the biggest
and fatest lake (Seneca) was chosen for the Thumb on that basis
and then orientate the hand so that the longest finger lines up
with the longest lake (Cayuga) ie left hand palm down, then
Skaneatetes corresponds to the 1st finger, Cayuga - 2nd, Keuka
to 3rd and Candaigua with the 4th finger.

In other words from right to left it matches the
SIq - 1st finger,
qay 2nd finger (longest lake/finger),
qew - 3rd finger and
qan - 4th finger.

What about the childrens word for thumb - rIl
Or is this red herring.

qe'San

Back to archive top level