tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 08 20:38:16 2001

RE: HolQeD 10:2: toes

jatlh Holtej:

	[...]
	And then it hit me.  The names of the toes are inspired by the
rhyme.
	Check
	it out, tell me if I'm crazy:

	marwI' - market
	HomwI' - home
	roSwI' - roast (roS) beef
	nanwI' - none
	Qay'wI' - ??

	The only thing I can figure for {Qay'wI'} is that the piggie running
	home
	has blown its top, or my version of the rhyme is different from
	Okrand's.

jang pagh:

	Qu'vatlh ghay'cha' baQa'! bIlughba'qu'.

	My memory of the nursery rhyme matches yours, so I think the <Qay'>
at
	the
	end is just to throw us all off. The amazing thing is the etymology
he
	made
	up to go with the words - it all seems entirely reasonable.

I remember the rhyme (and thus can easily remember the toe verbs) as:
This little piggie
...went to *mar*ket - {mar}
...stayed *home* - {Hom}
...had *roast* beef - {roS}
...had *none* - {nan}
...*cried* "wee wee wee" - {Qay'}

I'm just wondering whether there are any subtle puns hiding in the
vocabulary for the fingers.

- taD

Back to archive top level