tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 08 06:44:44 2001

RE: corrected email re:confusion with correct spellings

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Alan Anderson wrote:

> ja' malqa <[email protected]>:
> >Therefore, the name I choose Matok [the hebrew equiv of Myron] which I
> >really have no idea ,how it is pronounced [I assumed just remove the 'r'
> >as in MaRtok as an example] should really be translated into tlhIngan Hol
> >as "mataq' since I *want* the 'ah' sound and not the 'toke' sound.
>
> Where did you find "Matok" as the Hebrew equivalent?  If you can
> direct us to the source, we can probably find if it's supposed to be
> "mah-tahk", or "mah-toke", or "may-tock", or something else.  {mataq}
> is pronounced "mah-tahk", with both syllables having the "ah" sound.
> If that's what you want, fine.  If not, let us know what you *do*
> intend for it to sound like, and we'll help you

It was a book I found in the library that I believe was a dictionary of
hebrew and English [first] names. I wanted to use a version [there were
several names that could be used] of Myron and the one I picked was
spelled as Matok. I can't find any info on the name on the web as to
pronounciation but I always used it as mah'tahk but wrongly assumed it to
be spelled matoq. As per the other post, I am changing it to mataq as I
think it sounds and looks good with the name *I* use of malqa ,from my
Jewish name of Malka. As I said before, I didn't know I might be wrong
until I read that paragraph in KGT. I don't now how I missed that 2 years
ago when I requested help from the list ,the first time.
Thanks for both replies this time 'round.

Maud aka malqa

Back to archive top level