tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 02 17:13:50 2001

RE: KLBC: Drummond Quote

David said:

	bImeqbe'chugh, Ha'DIbaH SoH.  bImeqlaHbe'chugh, bIDugh.
	bImeqqangbe'chugh, toy'wI''a' SoH.

A spelling correction - "be silly" is {Dogh}. {Dugh} is "be vigilant". You
may just want to say {qoH SoH} ("You are a fool") instead of {bIDogh} ("You
are foolish") so that all 3 examples follow a similar format.

	--English--
	If you do not reason, you are an animal. If you cannot reason,
	you are a fool. If you are not willing to reason, you are a
	slave.

	The original quotation (which I am desperately trying NOT to
	butcher) is from Sir William Drummond:
	"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and
	he who dares not is a slave."

Reading the original quote, I think that "dare not reason" could be
translated as {meqvIp} ("afraid to reason").
Similarly, "will not reason" could be written as {meqqangbe'} ("not willing
to reason") or {meqQo'} ("refuse to reason").
Otherwise, the grammar in the Klingon version looks good.

	1. I have chosen the word {Ha'DIbaH}, as I did not find "bigot"
	in TKD. Any suggestions?

naQSej's suggestion of {cherghHa'wI'} looks good.

	2. What is the proper way to handle a double consonant like "q"?
	In the word {bImeqqangbe'chugh}, where the suffix {-qang} meets
	the verb {meq}, I presume it's proper to keep them both,
	correct?

Yes, when writing Klingon, double consonants aren't changed to single
consonants.
According to _Klingon for the Galactic Traveler_, on page 139, sometimes
Klingon speakers will pronounce double consonants as just one consonant.
However, this isn't always consistent, and we still spell out both
consonants.

- taD

Back to archive top level