tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 19 03:33:47 2001

RE: quraq's proverb of the day

RNButler:
> pIpyus pach DaSop DaneHehugh plpyus puS  DaghornIS.
> If you want to eat pipius claw, You'll have to break a few pipiues

Be careful with your font.  I don't remember which font The Klingon
Way (where this phrase came from) used, but one thing I didn't like
about The Klingon Dictionary was they used this font where you couldn't
tell the l's (lower case L's) and I (upper case i's) apart.

That should be {DaneHchugh} and {pIpyuS}.

> This proverb is simlar to the Terran proverb
> If you want to make a omalette you have to break a few eggs, both seem to
> have the same the meaning.  Tell me what you think?

They are somewhat similar.  But eggs are rather more passive than
pipiuses (pipii?).  While eggs give me the impression that they're
delicate and too bad if you break them, if the pipius is anything
like the other Klingon creatures we've seen, it probably puts up a
good fight while the chef is "breaking" it (presumably while
it's alive).  So the Terran saying has more of a sense of "you
might have to put up with some minor inconveniences if you want to
get something done", but the Klingon sounds like you have to overcome
some kind of struggle.  At least that's my impression.

By the way, I presume you are quraq?

--
De'vID