tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 16 08:34:25 2001

RE: -vo'

I'm really feeling like these arguments about which way light or information
is travelling are pretty weak. You view FROM a perspective, not toward one
in every language I know.

I could accept that Klingon has this unusual perspective toward this
prepositional relationship to the verb {legh}, but in the one example anyone
has managed to find in canon (Conversational Klingon audio tape), that's not
how it works:

pa'vo' pagh leghlu'.

"The room has no view."

More literally, "One sees nothing FROM the room."

There appears to be evidence that, at least for the single verb {legh},
there is one example in canon saying that the viewing occurs FROM {-vo} the
position of the viewer. There appears to be no evidence that viewing occurs
from {-vo'} the thing being viewed, regardless of which way light or other
information is flowing.

If you still believe this is an inaccurate assumption, please explain why,
preferably with some canon example or explaination from Okrand to convince
me that I've been mistaken. I definitely admit mistakes and bad assumptions.
I've made many. I just don't have a reason to believe that this happens to
be one of them.

Maybe it's just your turn.

Meanwhile, the question about whether this example can be generalized to
other verbs is still an open one. I will probably use verbs that feel right
for this style of usage when the inspiration arises, though I'll be
cautiously ready to be shown that I'm wrong when I do so, whenever any canon
is revealed to indicate my error.

SarrIS

Back to archive top level