tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 15 20:50:56 2001

Re: -vo'

Re: -vo' for verbs of perception:

Maybe it's because I'm studying ASL at the moment, but I don't find much of
a difference between

Hurvo' Qe'Daq jIjaH
and
Hurvo' Qe'Daq jIlegh

The action of the sentence - seeing - is in a direction away from the
outside, towards the restaurant.  Yes, the action that makes sight possible
is really light travelling from the restaurant to the observer's eye, but
the race that makes that discovery before having established vocabulary
that deals with sight is uncommunicative indeed.

Question is:  yotlhvo' vIlargh - Am I in the field, or is the source of the
odour?  I think we have the same ambiguity in English.

Qov

Back to archive top level