tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 13 20:35:28 2001

Re: -vo'

> ja' SarrIS:
> >[...]
> >Suddenly {-vo'} seemed like the best candidate. "From my perspective..."
> >"When viewed from afar..." "From my window, I can see the mountains in the
> >East." Qorwaghvo' chanDaq HuD'a' vIleghlaH. Where am I? Where are the
> >mountains?

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:
> Oh!  I don't have a handy transcription of the audiotapes, but it sounds
> like the "room with no view" example might be relevant.  Does it tell us
> something helpful about using {-vo'} with {legh}?

I've made a transcription (it's from CK):

K	-	What is your number, Terran?
	 	nuq mI'lIj, tera'ngan?
T	-	I'm guest number forty-two.
	 	meb loSmaH cha' jIH.
K	-	We're expecting you.
	 	pIpIH.
	-	Your room is number twenty-three.
	 	pa' cha'maH wej 'oH pa'lIj'e'.
	-	The bed is very hard.
	 	letqu' QongDaq.
	-	The room has no view.
	 	pa'vo' pagh leghlu'.
	-	Checkout time is 5 am.
	 	vagh rep bImejnIS.
	-	Pay now!
	 	DaH yIDIl!
	-	Pick up your baggage and go to your room!
	 	teplIj yIwoH 'ej pa'lIjDaq yIjaH!

The relevant line is {pa'vo' pagh leghlu'} "From the room, one sees
nothing", i.e. "The room has no view".  It appears to support the
opinion that {-vo'} can and indeed does mark the place where {legh}
occurs.  Interesting!

--
De'vID