tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 13 15:06:02 2001

Klingon targs (was RE: Grammar Highlight Each Day (-Daq = into,onto, to, toward))

ja' De'vID:
>I think that targs are compared to dogs not because of how they look
>(and you're right, they look more like pigs or wart hogs),

The targ from "Where No One Has Gone Before" was pretty transparently a pig
in costume. :-)  The Star Trek Encyclopedia even calls them a "furry
piglike animal."

>but
>because of their function in Klingon society, i.e. they are pets,
>they are kept by children (we know from TNG because Worf had one),

Pigs and cats and ferrets and hamsters and snakes and turtles and birds and
many other animals in Terran society are kept as pets.  I'm afraid "pet"
doesn't imply "dog" to me.

>and they can be trained to attack, sit, etc. (which we know from PK).

I don't remember that animal being identified as a targ.  (That's twice in
one day that I've wanted to review PK.  I can see I'm going to have to sit
down and make myself an easily searched transcript of the tapes.)

>They *function* like dogs, even if they don't *look* like them.

"Heart of dog" is not a traditional dish.  Except for the "pet command"
stuff, which I'm not convinced refers to targs at the moment, I see them
fitting the "pig" function a lot better than they fit the "dog" one.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level