tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 12 05:36:26 2001

RE: Grammar Highlight Each Day (-Daq = into, onto, to, toward)

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:
> While I'm nitpicking words' translations, I might as well complain about
> the recurring references to {targh} as a "dog-like" animal.  It doesn't
> look *anything* like a dog to me.

I think that targs are compared to dogs not because of how they look
(and you're right, they look more like pigs or wart hogs), but
because of their function in Klingon society, i.e. they are pets,
they are kept by children (we know from TNG because Worf had one),
and they can be trained to attack, sit, etc. (which we know from PK).
They *function* like dogs, even if they don't *look* like them.

--
De'vID