tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 11 21:09:59 2001

Re: (KLBC) 2 coordinated Type 5 Suffixes

ja' SarrIS:
>In a conversation with Okrand at qep'a', I confirmed that what you are
>guessing from canon is actually correct. Nouns that have the same
>grammatical function, such as those that share the same Type 5 noun suffix
>and appear at the beginning of a sentence do use a noun conjunction when
>combined, and each noun retains its Type 5 suffix.

When the nouns are *conjoined*, this description is accurate.  However, it
implies that a conjunction *must* accompany multiple nouns having the same
grammatical function, which is definitely not the case.  Apposition puts
the nouns together without a conjunction, and nouns with the same type 5
suffix aren't always joined with a conjunction.

>If you have nouns
>following one another with different Type 5 suffixes on each noun, there is
>no need for a conjunction.

ja' peHruS:
>I thought this was settled, set in canon, set in stone.  A conjunction does
>come after the last noun suffixed by a type 5 syntactical marker when a
>series of such nouns so needs to be combined.

When a series of nouns needs a conjunction, the conjunction indeed comes
after them all (unless you're emulating the younger generation's
innovation/error and placing the conjunction before the final noun).  But
such a series does not *always* need a conjunction, even when multiple
nouns share the same type 5 suffix.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level