tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 28 11:40:45 2001

Re: Translation of songs into Klingon?

Arne 'Timwi' Heizmann wrote:

: How about "Eagle of Gold"?

The simplest translation is just {baS toQ} "metal bird-of-prey".  This is a
problem as there's no known Klingon word for gold, or any other type of metal
AFAIK.  We just have the basic {baS} "metal".

I believe DloraH in his just-published Klingon translation of Gilgamesh,
rendered gold and silver collectively as {baS wagh} or "precious (expensive)
metal(s)".

Earlier, Glen Proechel came up with a few metals, based on their color:

  *{baS qIj}  iron ("black metal")
  *{baS chIS} silver ("white metal")
  *{baS Doq}  copper ("red metal")
  *{baS SuD}  brass ("yellow/green metal")

Depending on its use in the song, {baS boch} "shiny metal" might work.

Another tack is *{la'tInum toQ} or *{latnum toQ} "bird-of-prey of latinum" -
FYI, there's no official transcription yet for latinum, though we do know that
Klingons are familiar with it.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons