tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 28 10:00:44 2001

Re: Translation of songs into Klingon?

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Arne 'Timwi' Heizmann wrote:

> http://www.lionking.org/~timwi/eagles.htm shows that I am a great fan of
> eagles. On that page I have collected the translation for "Golden Eagle"
> in as many languages as I could. Now obviously I don't expect this
> specific word to be listed in TKD, but:
>
> If you look at the list, you'll find that most languages call this
> animal "Royal Eagle". Only in English and Greek it's called "Golden
> Eagle", in German and Dutch it's "Stone Eagle", etc... what do you think
> it would be called in Klingon?

Some suggestions:

{wo' toQ}    "Eagle of the Empire"
{nagh toQ}   "Eagle of Stone" (sounds like the name of a statue, though)
{HuD toQ}    "Eagle of the Mountain" --or--
{HuDvo' ToQ} "Eagle *from* the Mountain"

The word {toQ} is loosely translated as "bird of prey" (c.f. {toQDuj}
"Bird of Prey [Klingon vessel]"). A Klingon visiting Earth would look at
an eagle and say {toQ}.

> How much work would Klingon biologists put into researching this
> animal's behaviour before actually naming it? :-)

We really have no idea.

quljIb

Back to archive top level