tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 27 16:27:30 2001

RE: proverb-KLBC

quraq said:

> `Iw boch 'suwvl `etlh
>
> A warrior's sword shines with blood

The majority of this phrase is fine. It's ok if we say {boch SuvwI' 'etlh}
("A warrior's sword shines"). However, the verb {boch} means "be
shiny/shine", so it can't have an object.
So, we need to figure a way to include "blood" in the description of the
sword. Think about what you mean by "A warrior's sword shines with blood".
Some possible ways you could reword your proverb are:

A warrior's sword shines, and blood colors/tints it.
A warrior's sword shines, when blood surrounds it.
Blood shines on a warrior's sword.
Blood causes a warrior's sword to shine.

Also, in your proverb, the English word "shine" could mean two different
things:
Be bright because it reflects light - you can use {boch} for this meaning.
Be distinguished (as in "He really shines when he plays football") - you
would want to use a different word for this meaning, perhaps {le'} ("be
special").

See if you can reword your proverb (using one of the suggestions I gave, or
your own way), and try writing it in Klingon.

- taD