tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 27 16:28:51 2001

RE: KLBC: vInID

Skippy said:

> DaSmeywIj He'!  vIQaw vIneH!
>
> Ok, that's my first attempt!  My goal was to say: "My boots
> stink. I want to destroy them!"

I don't recognize your name, so (correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm bad at
remembering names) I assume this is your first message to this list. If so,
then welcome to the list, Skippy! Since you obviously know about using KLBC
in the subject line, I'll skip my standard introduction.

For a first attempt, your sentences here are good.

The word {He'} means "smell/emit odors", but not necessarily bad odors.  The
verb {He'So'} ("stink") is what you want to use when something stinks (that
is, when something smells horrible).

For the first sentence, "My boots stink", the subject of the verb is "My
boots". Klingon word order is object-verb-subject, which is the opposite
from English. There is no object in your sentence, so you want to say
{He'So' DaSmeywIj} ("My boots stink").

Also, don't forget the final {'} on the verb {Qaw'}. The letter {'} is just
as important as any other letter in Klingon. (Note that TKD incorrectly
lists "destroy" as a noun.)

Qapla'

- taD