tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 19 12:01:12 2001

Re: K'Zhen Zu-Merz

*** Warning: This message may contain vocabulary that you
may find offensive ***

jIja'
> >I wasn't aware English even had long consonants.

jang ghunchu'wI'; ja':
> It might not be called that, but "genie" and "Gennie" are quite distinct in
> sound.  There's definitely a difference in English between "super" and
> "supper", though it's reflected in the vowel preceding the doubled
> consonant more than in the sound of the consonant itself.
>
> >{jennIy} sounds to me more like "jen knee" (without a pause
> >between the two "n")
>
> That's exactly how I pronounce "Gennie".

interesting. the only "test" I can come up with right now
(and here is where it may get offensive) do you pronounce
the [n] in <Gennie> (noticeably) longer than the [n] in
<genitals>?

> I think the doubled consonant tends to shift the stress away from the final
> syllable.  I can't point to any rules that say so, but that's what happens
> pretty much automatically when I speak Klingon out loud.

you certainly have more speaking practice than I have.
I have never talked in Klingon to anyone who knew what
I was saying :) so all I have to go by are TKD and the
tapes. Maybe, getting back to the tapes will enlighten
me a little bit...

> [I could point to the verbs {Dabej} "you watch it" and {Dabbej} "he
> certainly resides (in)" as support for my observation, but they're not
> nouns.]

[and thus I would stress both on the first syllable]

> After several years of occasionally speaking Klingon in extended
> conversations, I can state with conviction that the explanation in TKD is
> *very* simplistic (no surprise there).  There are very few examples in TKD
> of nouns having multiple closed syllables with none ending in {'}, and
> there are definitely a few two-syllable nouns with the stress on the first
> syllable:  {tlhIngan} and {DIlyum} among them.

I could argue that {tlhIngan} really is a compound noun,
and I certainly stress the first noun in a N-N construction
(and by extension the first noun of a compound noun) more
than the second.

Does {DIlyum} occur in spoken form on one of the two tapes
CK or PK? or how do you know, it's not stressed on the second
syllable?

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]