tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 19 00:10:36 2001

RE: K'Zhen Zu-Merz

To me, there is no short "u" sound in Klingon. I have to move my mouth
around less to go from an English short "u" to the "a" in "father" than to
the "e" in "pet". The latter is a sound I shape farther forward and higher
than the other two. But you can use what you like.

You might try to get a back issue of HolQeD volume 1 number 1. It has a
great article in it on Klingon phonology. It gives you the basic rules about
how to make Klingon syllables:

1. Syllables can consist of a consonant followed by a vowel (C-V) or a vowel
between two consonants (C-V-C).

2. A syllable never begins with two or more consonants.

3. A syllable can only end in two consonants if those consonants are:

r-gh
w-'
y-'

4. The vowels "o" and "u" are never followed by the consonant "w".

The article explains all this in greater detail.

> What I was interested in was only creating a name that was in
> some fashion a mnemonic for my real name, Gennie Summers, and came up with
> K'Zhen Zu-Merz, before I ever encountered Okrand's work.  Now,
> the question isn't about my real name, but in writing my Klingon name in
> tlhIngan Hol.  There are several ways to write K'Zhen, and I
> chose QI'Sen.  As for Zu-Merz, I pronounce it with a long "u"
> (oo) and Merz as
> "mairz".  It's only a memory aid.  So to spell it a la tlhIngan
> Hol, the "u" can be retained; I'm not particular about the second
> syllable,
> Merz , so "merS would do - except that I wanted it to LOOK
> different than Summers, hence the Z's.  I think I may just use
> "QI'Sen Su'merS" and
> be forced to switch back to S's, but put in an apostrophe for
> "style".  I'm not concerned about the double consonants "rS", if
> that is wrong.

Then, why be concerned about anything?

> BTW, my friend Jon Brown Okrandized his name as "qe'San be'rawn".
>  What do you think of that?

It works, except for the {wn} which never happens in Klingon. I read the
message explaining that {aw} was considered a vowel dipthong, but I'm not
impressed. The simple truth is that the consonant following the {w} is
important. Only the glottal stop follows a "w" at the end of a sentence. No
other consonant can do so while fitting the phonology that Klingon
apparently has. The only two exceptions to this phonology are the
transliterations of two significant Federation captains: qIrq and pIqarD.

> Gennie Summers
> K'Zhen Zu-Merz
> QI'Sen Su'merS

SarrIS