tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 14 11:06:48 2001

RE: K'Zhen Zu-Merz

I saw this message and I was wondering is there is a description of how
someone identifies a name for themselves.  For instance do we usually do a
play on our own name or do we pick it in line with our feeling or identity
of self.  i.e. such as Native Americans do...

I am new to the language and am still trying to learn.  I have a hard enough
time with English. ;-)  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gennie Summers [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 1:51 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: K'Zhen Zu-Merz

 I  don't  understand why you choose to change the "u" to "a" in "Summers".
Seems to me that "e" would be closer to the short "u" sound.
All this fuss over how to pronounce my name in Klingon...

What I was interested in was only creating a name that was in some fashion a
mnemonic for my real name, Gennie Summers, and came up with
K'Zhen Zu-Merz, before I ever encountered Okrand's work.  Now, the question
isn't about my real name, but in writing my Klingon name in
tlhIngan Hol.  There are several ways to write K'Zhen, and I chose QI'Sen.
As for Zu-Merz, I pronounce it with a long "u" (oo) and Merz as
"mairz".  It's only a memory aid.  So to spell it a la tlhIngan Hol, the "u"
can be retained; I'm not particular about the second syllable,
Merz , so "merS would do - except that I wanted it to LOOK different than
Summers, hence the Z's.  I think I may just use "QI'Sen Su'merS" and
be forced to switch back to S's, but put in an apostrophe for "style".  I'm
not concerned about the double consonants "rS", if that is wrong.

BTW, my friend Jon Brown Okrandized his name as "qe'San be'rawn".  What do
you think of that?

Gennie Summers
K'Zhen Zu-Merz
QI'Sen Su'merS