tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 18 21:26:50 2001

RE: pong

jIpong'egh. jIjatlh <<SarrIS>>. [Using Okrandian speech words]

SarrIS mupong tlhInganpu'. [Using prefix shortcut]

SarrIS vIponglu'. [Using prefix shortcut and {-lu'}]

jIHvaD SarrIS lupong tlhInganpu'. [Using indirect object]

jIHvaD SarrIS ponglu'. [Using indirect object]

SarrIS 'oH pongwIj'e'. [Using pronoun as "to be" verb]

chay' bIpong'egh?

chay' Dupong latlhpu'?

nuq 'oH ponglIj'e'?

All of these are grammatically valid. So far, we've been given no reason to
think any of them are sufficiently wrong to avoid using any of them. There
may be a commonly used idiomatic way to say this, but we haven't seen it
yet. I don't think that the English way to say this is any more idiomatic
than any of the other languages mentioned below.