tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 17 13:15:28 2001

Re: Gary & Mike

>Point taken.  It would not, however, be the first time that correct Klingon
>phrases were mixed around and made to mean different things.  That's where
>we got the noun qama', and the whole perfective, is it not.  I saw that the
>phonetic text seemed to match the wrong translations.  If it matched
>perfectly it would be a better argument, but then what IS Klingon for "I'd
>love to go"?

Yes that's true, but I think it's more likely that this is a matter of
mispronunciation on the part of the speakers.  It's also true that
transliteration is especialy hard here due to the fact that it is a
claymated show.  You can't get visual clues from watching their mouths.
I've listened to it again and the word "grath" in the first line might be
"grash" or even "gash" (sounding like the English word "gosh").  It's hard
to distinguish the "th" from the "sh" they way she is saying it.  To her
credit she is speaking very gutteraly.  Anyway, this is how an uninitiated
speaker might pronounce "ghoS."  If so, "I'd love to go" might have been
translated as "jIghoSch'!"

SuSvaj

>jIjaH vIneHqu'
>vIneHbej
>muQuchmoH
>'e' vItIv
>
>And where did they get the phrases?  They aren't straight out of TKD, there
>they could have found tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a' (hmm, actually, that dajata
>should be Dajatlh'a') but what about the rest?  The phonetic transcriptions
>are close enough that the ee on the end of kishlak doesn't make sense.  I
>thought about it being an 'e' and then rejected that because of the
>following jee, almost certainly a jI-.  But if it's beginner grammar, hat
>could the verb be?  There's nothing relevant starting with v.  V resembles
>b and f when spoken, but I can't think of any v words appropriate to
>voltion or motion, and Klingon doesn't have an f.  Written, r and n can
>look like v, at least in my handwriting.  On a keyboard v might be hit
>instead of b (already considered) or c (not relevant).
>Qov

Back to archive top level