tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 17 09:21:54 2001

Re: Gary & Mike

lab Qov:
>As for the lines quoted, maybe they're a little mixed up with their
>translations:
>
>jee grath choo.  	             "Fluently!"
>jIjatlhchu'
>
>tinkoo khol dajata			"Holy Crap!  You speak Klingon?"
>tInqu' Hol Dajatlh
>
>kishlak  ee	jee vacho:		"I would love to go."
>HISlaH    ?     ??

lab SuSvaj:
> You seem to be playing scrable with whole sentences and their translations
> here.  If you rearrange them THAT much you can get them to spell anything
> you want.

Point taken.  It would not, however, be the first time that correct Klingon
phrases were mixed around and made to mean different things.  That's where
we got the noun qama', and the whole perfective, is it not.  I saw that the
phonetic text seemed to match the wrong translations.  If it matched
perfectly it would be a better argument, but then what IS Klingon for "I'd
love to go"?

jIjaH vIneHqu'
vIneHbej
muQuchmoH
'e' vItIv

And where did they get the phrases?  They aren't straight out of TKD, there
they could have found tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a' (hmm, actually, that dajata
should be Dajatlh'a') but what about the rest?  The phonetic transcriptions
are close enough that the ee on the end of kishlak doesn't make sense.  I
thought about it being an 'e' and then rejected that because of the
following jee, almost certainly a jI-.  But if it's beginner grammar, hat
could the verb be?  There's nothing relevant starting with v.  V resembles
b and f when spoken, but I can't think of any v words appropriate to
voltion or motion, and Klingon doesn't have an f.  Written, r and n can
look like v, at least in my handwriting.  On a keyboard v might be hit
instead of b (already considered) or c (not relevant).
Qov

Back to archive top level