tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 15 21:19:32 2001

Re: early bird

Voragh:
> Fortunately, on startrek.klingon (1/98) Okrand was asked how to translate
> "I was too late to visit you" and gave three ways to recast the idea of
> being "too late":

Thanks.  My intuition says that this is a different kind of "early/late"
than what I'm looking for.  In English, the words "early/late" have two
different meanings.  "Early" can either mean "occurring near the
beginning of a time period" or "occurring before a time period".  These
are different meanings and may be expressed by entirely different
words in another language.

1) It is early in the morning.
2) I arrived at my meeting early.

My sense is that the Klingon {'eq} only covers #2.

> jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb.
> Because I'm very late, the opportunity to visit you has escaped.
>
> qaSuch vIneH 'ach narghpu' 'eb.  jIpaSqu'.
> I want to visit you, but the opportunity has escaped. I am very late.
>
> qaSuchlaHbe'.  jIpaSqu' vaj narghpu' 'eb.
> I cannot visit you. I am very late, thus the opportunity has escaped.

None of these mean "late" in the sense of "late in the day".  They
all mean "after some intended time has passed".  I don't see a way
to make them work.

Maybe recasting?  Hmmm...

DaHjaj, qaSpa' jIvemmeH poH motlh, jIvemta'.
= Today, before my usual time-for-my-waking-up, I had already
(intentionally) woken up.

chaq meqvammo' jIberghlaw'.

--
De'vID