tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 14 12:52:37 2001

Re: Peace! (was Re: post)

All right.  This is my final response to this whole mess.

1)  I understand the reasoning for the list:  to share information concerning
the Klingon language and to speak to each other in it; however, as I have
stated about a half dozen times, I am just learning the language, which was
why I corresponded in English.  At that time, I was just learning the
pronunciations.  I must take my time in learning a new language to ensure I
am learning everything correctly.  I do not experiment with grammar and/or
vocabulary because this causes confusion.  I prefer to take everything one
step at a time.  Also, I do not see the point in attempting to converse in a
language I do not know because I know I will receive nothing but corrections.
 I have my own way of learning, as does everyone else.  Mine just happens to
be a little bit slow.

2)  When SarriS questioned my usage of the word "Peace!" within my signature,
I felt that my honor was being threatened and reacted as any Klingon would
defending his/her honor.  Instead of resolving this situation off of the list
like many humans would, I preferred to respond via the list to defend my
honor in the presence of the group like any Klingon would.  After all, this
is a Klingon language listing, and we all, probably, do at least a little
role playing.  With keeping all of this in mind, the proper way to respond to
this situation as a Klingon was to keep responding via the group, instead of
cowering away like many Ferengi do.  I realize the list is not a pedestal for
me to stand on.  The list is for everyone to share, which I wholeheartedly
respect; however, if I feel a fight is being initiated with me in front of a
group of people, I will continue the fight in front of the group.

3)  As far as the responses I received in Klingon, I, personally, feel that
these responses were morally wrong.  Before and after my postings in question
were sent, I made it perfectly clear in several other postings that I am a
beginner and I do not know the Klingon language.  Not only should there be
respect for the experts of the language but, also, the beginners.  I realize
that this is accomplished through tutoring and by responding in English to
beginner's questions; however, in a situation such as the one in question
with knowing that at least one of the parties involved was a beginner, the
that all parties were in understanding.  I had attempted to translate your
to the individual who was kind enough to do so when I had requested it.  I
realize that by me saying all of this I might be burning many bridges;
however, I do not care.  Maybe, if I can make at least one person think and
understand what I am saying, then I have accomplished something.

I hope this e-mail has helped to clarify some things and will stop the
beating of a horse that has been long since dead.  As you can tell, SarriS
and I have stopped communicating this subject via this listing.  I greatly
appreciate SarriS's response concerning this issue and hope the two of us
continue communicating.  I have enjoyed our conversations both on and off
this listing.

Valerie  :-)~

Peace!

Back to archive top level