tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 14 11:40:00 2001

Re: K'Zhen Zu-Merz

In message <[email protected]> Gennie Summers writes:
>  I  don't  understand why you choose to change the "u" to "a" in "Summers".  Seem
> s to me that "e" would be closer to the short "u" sound.
> All this fuss over how to pronounce my name in Klingon...

doesn't have to bother you :)
you're free to name yourself whatever you like, of course.
it's always difficult to write sounds of a foreign language
with native sounds (in this case English is the foreign language,
Klingon the native) and our discussion is mostly speculative anyway.

> mers, hence the Z's.  I think I may just use "QI'Sen Su'merS" and
it sounds close enough to K'Zhen Zu-Merz the way you
pronounce it, IMO. The only things I'd have changed are
{q} instead of {Q} and insert a vowel to break up {-rS}

> be forced to switch back to S's, but put in an apostrophe for "style".  I'm no
> t concerned about the double consonants "rS", if that is wrong.

we just haven't seen any canon words with {rS} *in one syllable*
but if you like it... we have seen {-rq} and {-rD} in
{qIrq} "Kirk" and {pIqarD} "Picard" and those two are
not found in other Klingon syllables either, suggesting
that foreign names are little less bound by rules applying
to native words.

it's your name. you have the final word on it.

> BTW, my friend Jon Brown Okrandized his name as "qe'San be'rawn".  What do you
>  think of that?

we haven't seen {wn} in one syllable either...
but it's his name...

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]