tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 11 20:35:49 2001

RE: quraq's saying of the day

Minor points below:

qoDDaq tlhe'bogh mIn jej law' Hoch jej puS.

> but this feels a little awkward.

Mostly because of the forgotten {-bogh}, but you have a point.

> A second method is to use the verb suffix {-qu'} - which needn't always be
> translated "very" - to emphasize {jej}:
>
>   qoDDaq tlhe' mIn jejqu'.
>
> I'm also not sure what it means for an eye to "turn" within.  Instead of
> translating literally, consider the verbs {nej} "look for, seek,
> search for";
> {bej} "watch"; and of course {legh} "see".  Of these, I prefer the first:
>
>   qoDDaq nej mIn jejqu'.
>   The sharper eye looks/searches within.

I was about to make exactly the same suggestions. I also thought about
{Qeq}, though we are assuming that the poetic imagery implied works in
Klingon language/culture and that we are not merely talking about someone
looking cross-eyed, or someone carefully making a visual examination of the
exposed innards of bodies opened..

> : This proverbs that a klingons instinct or preception is often
> better then
> : the eyes themselves. For in a DS9 episode Worf says a Klingon
> warrior knows
> : when someone has the killing look, almost like an instinct.
>
>   Duj tIvoqtaH
>   Always trust your instincts. TKD
>
>   DujlIj yIvoq
>   Trust your instincts. TKW

pIj ngaDHa' DujwIj. My instincts haven't really been all that dependable of
late.

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons