tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 09 08:45:43 2001

RE: Help KLBC

> RNButler wrote:
>
> : ______ tlhe' jej'a' mIn
> :
> : I am trying to say The keener eye turns inward, but couldn't find the words
> : for keen so I assumed sharper would fit the bill

Voragh:
> {jej} "be sharp" is fine.  In fact, we learned in KGT that {jej pach}
> "The claw is sharp" is an idiom meaning the food is pungent - that is, good.
> The opposite quality {jejHa'} "be dull" is also slang for "be bland".  Also,
> there's a proverb you may find relevant:
>
>   leghlaHchu'be'chugh mIn lo'laHbe' taj jej
>   A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye. TKW

But note in this case that Okrand translated a "sharp eye" as
{leghlaHchu'be'[bogh] mIn} and not as {mIn jej}.  This would
seem to indicate that Klingons would not understand this
English idiom.  If you say {jej mIn} to a Klingon, he or she
will likely think of an alien being whose seeing organ is
located on an antenna or a horn, not one whose vision is
"sharp" in the sense that is can see perfectly.

--
De'vID