tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 05 21:45:00 2001

Re: Klingon vs. Navajo

Heh. I saw that URL earlier. I meant to post it, but it was The Onion,
after all.

Speaking of which, has there been a resurgence of Klingon lately? I clipped
the following out of the local paper's editorial section last week:

"Heghle'neH QaQ jajvam"

  Language spats are widespread, not just in Canada. Past solutions have
failed; the artificial language Esperanto, invented in 1887, was a grand
idea, yet never went anywhere.
  But now, a solution may be found on Thursday evenings at the the
Roundhouse Community Centre in Vancouver, where instructor Robyn Stewart is
teaching a language free of politcal freight: Klingon. Developed for aliens
in the TV Series "Star Trek", it has a dictionary and a growing following.
With no native speakers, it has no emotional baggage. It is a little grim
-- a common salute is "today is a good day to die" -- but we still wodner
if it wouldn't be better than the alternatives as the world's official
language?

(From: The Vancouver Sun, Feb. 2, 2001, Editorials (page A14)).

Speaking of which, I saw a more credible article on Klingon vs. Esperanto
somewhere, but I lost the link (it was pretty recent too).

--
Worf, Son of Mogh (Worf Rozhenko)

[email protected]	http://www.worf.net

Back to archive top level