tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 14 16:13:17 2001

Re: language-less in San Diego

Cat said:
	Well, I just went to my first meeting of the IKV Stranglehold in San
Diego. They are a fun group of people and I know I will enjoy being a
member. They sing some Klingon songs phonetically and one member has learned
just about every Klingon curse there is, but none of them have any desire to
seriously learn tlhIngan Hol. I was quite disappointed as I was hoping to
find some study partners. For a group that has been in service to the Empire
for 10 years I really thought I would find at least one person that would be
interested. They even scoffed at my insistence on choosing a Klingon name
that would be considered KLI approved! So, once again I am asking both
language groups if there are any members in the San Diego area that would
want to study together.
Although it's not in the San Diego area this year, the {qep'a'} is a
wonderful opportunity to meet other Klingon speakers and speak the language.
The next {qep'a'} will be in the Philadelphia area in August, if I remember
correctly. There are more details in the latest issue of HolQeD (or in any
of the upcoming issues of HolQeD). If you really want to have a fun time and
practice & learn the language, then you should start saving your money and
planning your schedule so that you can go to the {qep'a'}.
Although there will be fluent Klingon speakers there, I'm sure that they'll
patiently practice with you. Of course, there'll also be others who are just
beginners, so don't feel that you'll be the only non-expert there. In fact,
I believe that you can sign up for a special Beginner's workshop for the
qep'a' this year.
The {qep'a'} is a terrific experience; the first time I attended a qep'a', I
was only able to spend an hour there before I had to leave to visit
colleges. But when I left, I knew that I just had to go to the qep'a' the
next year and stay for the whole time. And I haven't missed a {qep'a'} since
then. :-D
If you can't make it to the {qep'a'} this year, you can still host your own
{qepHom} in the San Diego area. For more information, take a look at
/stuff/qepHom.html
- taD

Back to archive top level