tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 07 11:24:20 2001

Re: Klingon Tengwar

tlhIngan Hol *Tengwar* ghItlhmeH pat vIleghbe'pu'.  Qatlh pat.  'a wa'
vI'ogh DaHjaj ram 'e' vInID.

I've never seen a Klingon mode for Tengwar, but it's an interesting idea.
Alas, it would probably be very arbitrarily chosen, as the usual modes of
Tengwar are a lot more regular in their sound assignments than Klingon.
(Sindarin, for instance, has dental voiced and unvoiced stops and fricatives
(the I group), whereas Klingon has only the unvoiced dental stop from that
group.  There is no mode by Tolkien that has retroflex consonants that I
know of, but even if you assign, say, the IV group to them, you're only
going to use two of the letters (for /S/ and /D/).  The phones of Klingon
(did I use that term correctly?) are so scattered as to make a regular
Tengwar mode of them nearly impossible.

Still, I'll see if I can construct one that makes a little sense tonight.

SuStel
Stardate 1934.8