tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 04 12:23:32 2001

Re: yem! (was Re: Klingon WOTD: wem (n))

jatlh charghwI':

>wIch DaHarchugh ngoDqoqvam Dalaj. To be >slightly more accurate, even if
you
>accept Christian mythology, something happened >in the garden of Eden and a
>remarkable number of years later, someone >arbitrarily assigned to that
behavior
>the English word "sin". Likely the word had meaning >in English before
receiving
>that assignment. Believe it or not, the English >language actually did have
>secular use independent of the church, even before >King James' time.

wIchqoqvetlh vIHar (wIch 'oHbe'mo'-- teH 'oHbej). I'm not talking about the
church-- I'm talking about God, and what Adam and Eve did-- that was the
first "sin" committed on earth.

>And I hate to break this to you, but not one word in >the Bible was
originally
>written in English, and every translation has been >and will continue to be
>imperfect.

Depends on what you mean by "imperfect"-- if you mean that one may
occasionally come across a typo or a minor word translated wrong, then you'd
probably be right. (I'm talking about KJV and NIV-- I don't really know
about some of the new translations). But even if there is a small typo or
something, that doesn't change the fact that the Bible is God's word ("All
scripture is God-breathed"). God had some pretty important things to say--
He's not going to let a few human errors keep people from understanding
those things.

>A pet peeve of mine is the way Christianity likes to >claim things as its
own
>that existed long before Christianity and continue to >exist quite
independent
>of Christian mythology. Listen to them, and you'd >think that charity,
honesty,
>kindness and all things noble cannot exist without >faith in the Christian
God.

Those things can exist without faith in God, but they won't really mean
anything-- just as someone can live a perfectly good life on earth without
ever believing in God, but it will be a temporary one, and more or less
meaningless. And once again, I'm not talking about religion or the church,
I'm talking about God (There was a time before those things, but there has
never been a time before God).

>'e' luHar qoHna'pu' neH. Some humans are actually >motivated by something
more
>innately good than fear of punishment by an >absolute power, or greed for a
>heavenly reward.

It's not only fear of punishment or want of a reward that motivates true
Christians-- it's a love for God and a desire to please him.

> Those who act dishonorably sin, whether by a >Christian definition or not.

Hija', bIlugh

--qonwI'