tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 05 04:33:09 2001

Re: yem! (was Re: Klingon WOTD: wem (n))

> meaningless. And once again, I'm not talking about religion or the church,
> I'm talking about God (There was a time before those things, but there has
> never been a time before God).

Sure there was a time before God. God's are created by the creatures that
believe in them. Before the word for God was created to label something that
someone wanted to name, there was a time before God. Just as in the Klingon
language, there was a time before we had Qun, up until that point people
made long and silly words to try and express an idea that humans seem to
have a strange fascination with. Then Marc said, "Here's Qun!" and once
again, us humans had a label for supernatural/divine beings which some
people seem to think exist.

This is why I love Klingon, it's given me a new understand and way to look
at language and the world. Getting a new noun (aka label) for something made
me realise that as new ideas were created/needed, new words were made to
cover them. Therefore at some point someone came up with the idea of God and
gave it a label (in which ever language they used at the time), and as new
languages came about, those labels were introduced (sometimes changed,
sometimes the same) so that people could talk about the same subjects.

I'm sure someone will tell me that the word for God was given to someone by
God... but truthfully now, if someone walked up to you on the street and
said, "God spoke to me, he told me his name was flibblebits", you'd look at
them and think they were nuts. Why believe someone who said the same thing,
just because they said it 2000 years ago?

Qunmey vIHarbe'. nochwIj vIHar. mInDu'wIj nItlhDu'wIj teSDu'wIj etc etc bIH
nochwIj'e'. (whats is the Klingon equivalent of etc?)

qurgh

Back to archive top level