tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 15 15:15:59 2001

RE: KLBC: parHa'

qoreQ said:
>The verb parHa' (like)... what is that? is it used thusly:
>    "I like you, Terran!"

taD:
: {parHa'} has the above meaning. You'll notice that it actually
: is the verb {par} ("dislike") plus the verb suffix {-Ha'}. So
: it literally means something such as "dis-dislike". A few simple
: examples:
:   {yuch parHa' tlhIngan} "The Klingon likes chocolate."
:   {yIH par tlhIngan}     "The Klingon dislikes the tribble."

Another option is to use {belmoH} "please (someone)".  It's not listed in the
Dictionary, but Okrand did use in Power Klingon when the Klingon female growled
seductively at and made sexual overtures:

  tera'ngan!  qabelmoH'a'?
  Terran!  Do I please you?

As you'll recall, she didn't. <g>  (Note that this could also have been
translated colloquially as "Do you like me?")

{belmoH} may be preferred when speaking of initial impressions, while {parHa'}
may refer to long-standing preference.  As neither {par} nor {parHa'} have been
used in canon, we have no way of knowing.

And just to be thorough, we also have the verbs {qaq} and {maS}, both discussed
by Okrand on st.klingon:

  the answer to the question {jarlIj qaq nuq?} ("What is your
  preferable month?") would presumably be a definition of your
  favorite month. ... What you really mean to ask is something
  like "Of all the months, which one do you prefer?" ... You
  use {qaq}, "be preferable", adjectivally ({jarlIj qaq} is
  "your preferable month").  I think what you mean is better
  expressed by using the verb {maS} "prefer} with you as the
  subject {jar DamaSqu'bogh yIngu'} "What/Which is your
  favorite month?" ("Identify the month that you very much
  prefer!")

In other words, "Which month do you like best?"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons