tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 05 10:55:26 2001

RE: Boggle

> ...I've been wanting to port the game Boggle...
> The problem is, I'm not sure how best to go about making the cubes so
> that the game plays well in Klingon.  Has anyone done this already?  If
> so, can you comment on how you distributed letters on the cubes and how
> it worked?
>
> If not, I'm not sure how to start, as I don't know how Boggle was
designed.
> I imagine they started with a letter distribution chart, which I could
> make out of the TKD for simple vocab distribution, but not usage.  I'm not
> aware of any distribution charts for Klingon either way.  Does one exist?
> I suppose I could do a count of letters used in past posts to this list...
> :-)
>
> Anyway, I'm posting here for a few reasons:
>
> 1) Information about any already existing Klingon Boggle game(s)
> 2) Links to resources that might help me figure out a reasonable
> distribution
> 3) Discussion about theory, and maybe we can work this out together

I made a Boggle set (picture on my website).  Someone on the list did make a
distribution chart.  I could look through my files a probably find out who,
or they may see this and respond.  I have their files.

For Boggle I ended up putting consonants and vowels on seperate cubes.  16
cubes total.

5 cubes for vowels.  Each vowel once on each cube, plus an extra e, an extra
I, and 3 extra a.

11 consonant cubes; each consonant 3 times, except:
  2 extra ', a total of 5 '.
  2 extra H, a total of 5 H.
  1 extra j, total 4 j.
  1 extra m, total 4 m.