tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 03 16:46:59 2001

Re: Help with a translation

At 8/3/01 Friday 04:36 AM , you wrote:

> I have been on the mailing list for a couple months.  If possible, can
> someone translate the following phrase:
>
>         I am fearless in my heart,

tIqwIjDaq vIghIjbe'lu'  ("In my heart I am not scared")

or

tIqwIjDaq Haj vIghajbe'  ("In my heart I have no dread")

Klingon has no separate verb for "be afraid", but has a suffix {-vIp} "be
afraid [to do something]" which you attach to a verb: e.g. {choHoHvIpbe'} "you
are not afraid to kill me".  There is, however, the verb {ghIj} "scare", so we
can say {vIghIjlu'} "I am scared" (lit. "someone/something scares me").

>         They will always see that in my eyes.

reH mInDu'wIjDaq 'e' lulegh.

>         I am the passion.

jInong.  ("I am passionate")

>         I am the warfare.

jIQoj.  ("I wage war")

You could also say literally {veS jIH} "I am the war/warfare", but I using
three verbs beginning with {jI-} preserves the parallelism of the English.

>         I will never stop!

not jImev!

>         Always constant, accurate, and intense!

reH jIchoH'eghbe' ("Always I do not change myself"),

or

reH jIvang  ("I always act/take action"),

[reH] jIqar ("I am [always] accurate"),

'ej [reH] jIqu'!  ("and I am [always] fierce!")

You could probably delete the 2nd and 3rd {reH}, since the three verbs occur
quickly in succession - as in English, though we've never seen it done in
Klingon.  But it's your poem, so you can take some licence with the language.

Hope this helps.

Qapla'!

--
Voragh