tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 31 17:57:41 2001

Re: Iw

jeremy mudge:
> i was looking for the word for "bloodless" but didn't find it.
> And I was hoping that "Iwbe'" or ("Iwbe") would do.

marqoS:
: However, you can translate the expanded phrase implied by the English
: suffix: <<'Iw ghajbe'bogh>> means "which does not have blood".  So you
: could say something like this:
:
: 'Iw ghajbe'bogh SuvwI''e'     The bloodless warrior (literally,
:               "The warrior which has no blood")

Absolutely.  This is one of several ways of translating the tricky English
words  "with" and "without".  Marc Okrand provided this example in Power
Klingon:

  Hov ghajbe'bogh ram rur pegh ghajbe'bogh jaj
  A day without secrets is like a night without stars.

: You need to tack on that -'e' to whatever you're talking about; otherwise
: the sentence could just as easily be referring to the blood instead of the
: warrior (in which case it would be translated as "the blood which the warrior
: doesn't have").

Well... you don't need to use {-'e'} if the context is clear as to what you're
talking about - as in the Okrand example - but in many cases it certainly does
help keep the subject straight.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons