tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 28 09:07:49 2001

Re: Unicode

Jiri:
> > Unifont does not have them - don't know whether that's policy or simply
> > not got around to it yet.

Mark:
> I think it would be inappropriate for Unifont, or any standard Unicode
> font, to include any particular set of glyphs in the private use area.

This is in the OS-specific area, not the end-user area. So it would be
appropriate for anything that's specifically Linux.

> On the other hand, based on your statement, you could argue that the
> Linux community as a whole has decided to include Klingon at those
> particular code positions,

Exactly - just like any OS vendor might.

> Unifont is primarily a Linux font, so including Klingon in Unifont might
> make sense after all. :)

Probably best to go e-mail the unifont author on this point.

That'd be Roman Czyborra <[email protected]> http://czyborra.com/

> What I was envisioning, though, was a KLI-enhanced version of some
> standard Unicode font - I suggested Unifont as a base because it comes
> with the source for the glyphs and code to turn that source back into a
> Unicode-sized font, which makes it relatively easy to modify.

Ah. I don't think you need to make a copy of the whole font, though - I
think you can use the source to make a Klingon-only linux font, but one
which will use the linux-unicode encoding.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib