tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 28 08:50:17 2001

Re: Unicode

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 06:57:20PM +1000, Jiri Baum wrote:
> Mark:
> > perhaps the KLI should lay out the locations of the Klingon letters
> > within the Unicode private-use area,
>
> Already done for at least one operating system... linux.
>
> Check the file unicode.txt in the Documentation directory of the kernel.
> Letters start at F8D0 and digits at F8F0.
qatlho'.

> > and provide a Unicode font (perhaps a modified version of the GNU
> > Unifont)
>
> Unifont does not have them - don't know whether that's policy or simply not
> got around to it yet.
I think it would be inappropriate for Unifont, or any standard Unicode
font, to include any particular set of glyphs in the private use area.
Since the whole point of that area is to provide a place for individual
communities to include non-standard characters, it is up to those same
communities to provide appropriate fonts.

On the other hand, based on your statement, you could argue that the Linux
community as a whole has decided to include Klingon at those particular code
positions, and Unifont is primarily a Linux font, so including Klingon
in Unifont might make sense after all. :)

What I was envisioning, though, was a KLI-enhanced version of some
standard Unicode font - I suggested Unifont as a base because it
comes with the source for the glyphs and code to turn that source
back into a Unicode-sized font, which makes it relatively easy
to modify.

Of course, the KLI does provide its own fonts now, but they overload the
character positions of standard Roman characters instead of giving the
Klingon letters their own code points.

--marqoS

--
Mark J. REED	<[email protected]>