tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 27 21:49:25 2001

RE: KLBC: Grammer questions

I posted those sentences especially for quS'a'Qob to translate.  They have
some little tricks in them, and the grammar is more complex than you are
ready for.  I will comment on your versions  little bit.  For more
discussion on them, see the thread <Qov qeqmeH mu'tlheghmey>.  At the end,
I'll give you some sentences to do that will test YOUR abilities.

>   How's this? (Sorry it took me so long to post).
>
>   1.  jatlhlu'pu' yiHmey chUjlaHchu'.

Two typos here -- watch your fingers.  Do not try to translate past tense
with perfective.  Remember OVS sentence order.

>   2.  nger tobmeH, DujDaq loSmaH yIHmey DIlanpu'.
>   3.  yIHmey yeqQo'pu'.
>   4.  ghu'vammo' mamoghpu'.

Do NOT try to translate past tense with perfective.  Totally different
things, and hard to read.

>   5.  yIHmey juleghchugh qoy'taH, bIHagh.
>   6.  yIHvetlh QIp nImogh, 'ej.

Translate the idea of the sentence, not the words.

>   7.  ngong rInpa', SochSaD yIHmey DIghajpu'.

OVS, for all clauses.

>   8.  (I couldn't figure this one out)
>   9.  verenganpu' val law' yIHmey val puS.

Now try:

 Why are there many sticky things under my bed?
 How many aliens wear helmets because of asteroids?
 Are there blue cups in the kitchen (galley)?
 Can you disassemble my attitude control thrusters and that control panel?
 Will the children attack each other tomorrow?
 Were your neighbour's targs noisy yesterday?
 Does a warrior need to kill someone to get a waiter to come to his table?
 When did those old women eat the first meal?
 I was an officer before the Romulans destroyed the base.
 I won't be present when the shuttle arrives, because I'm going to Earth in
the  morning.

Qov

Back to archive top level