tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 25 20:29:59 2001

Re: To do or not to do...

I'm going to join in on the ramblings and describe the problem as I see
it...

I think one thing you didn't take into account is that a lot of the verbs in
English have Klingon verb that are similar in meaning but not in name, and
unless you have a big Klingon vocabulary your not going to know they are
there. The idea of to do and ta' for instance, ta' fitted perfectly for what
I wanted, but when I was translating the verb to do, to accomplish didn't
come near my mind. It wasn't vagueness, it was due to my lack of vocab, and
I think this tends to be a large problem a lot of the time. I understand
Klingon grammar pretty well and can go from Klingon to English quickly, as
long as I have my TKD to look up words, but going the other way is harder
because as I translate I have to think of every possible English word that
could be used to mean the same thing and then I have to look each one up.
Then once I find it (if I find one), I have 50 English words in my head and
one Klingon one... once I've used it, it doesn't want to stay in my brain
for long.

What you see as vagueness, I see as a simply not know what words I have to
play with. Until I have memorized all 2000 odd words, I'm going to have to
ask questions which seem like vagueness to you, but to me are simply lack
vocab. Which is why I thought this list was here. So that those that have
gone before, and I must commend them all, can help lead us willing, but a
little slower, people along the path. I'm not saying spoon feed us, just
help us take the right paths as we go and deal with our vagueness, we are
doing our best :-)

Geese, way to many "vagueness"es in there... and I repeated myself a little
too much, but anyway, on to other things.

That aside, does anyone have any tips for learning vocab? I've tried
translating things on the list, and I remember words for a few days but then
they seem to float out of my brain. I've tried ter'eS's great kliflash
program, but the same thing happens. Any other suggestions?

qurgh