tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 24 17:56:53 2001

Re: KLBC - je as also

ja' SI'mal:
>Now is it:
>DIvI' Hol jatlh qeylIS je
>or:
>DIvI' Hol jatlh je qeylIS

The second one is absolutely correct.  TKD page 55 acknowledges that it is
ambiguous and needs extra context to make clear the intent.  Using a second
sentence to add that context explicitly is a good solution if your goal is
absolutely understandable communication.

I'm pretty sure that nobody would have any problem knowing what you meant
with the first one, though.  Even though it doesn't exactly follow the
rules that have been set down for us, I think it seems to "feel" okay.

For what it's worth, I've come to appreciate ambiguity when it comes
naturally.  My goal isn't *always* to communicate with Vulcan precision.  :)

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level