tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 24 13:15:29 2001

RE: KLBC - je as also

SI'mal said:

> I have a question about the use of je when using it as
> 'also'. Now, TKD tells me it is
> supposed to be used at the end of a verb. And PK gives
> more examples where the
> guard says he is also hungry or whatever it might be.
> My question then is when to
> use it when you want to note the Subject explicitly.
>
> One example:
> jatlh je - [He speaks it, too]
>
> But how about [Kahless speaks Federation Standard,
> too] (Incidentally, before the
> canon police rush at me, I am just using it as an
> example. I am not trying to say this
> is a factual statement.)
>
> Now is it:
> DIvI' Hol jatlh qeylIS je
>
> or:
>
> DIvI' Hol jatlh je qeylIS
>
> My instinct is to prefer the first over the second.
> But I am not sure whether that fits
> with the grammatical direction provided by TKD.
> Certainly, in the first example, je
> follows the verb ...
>
> Anyway, what I have been doing now, is to make a
> statement, and follow it with
> another using je. Like so: tlhIngan Hol jatlh qeylIS.
> DIvI' Hol jatlh je.
>
> I'd appreciate any and all help.

According to TKD, when {je} follows the final noun in a series, it joins
them together and means "and":
{paSlogh, nIvnav, mop je} "Socks, pajamas, and a robe"

TKD doesn't give specific instructions if you only had one noun. However,
I'd probably interpret it as the following:
{mop je} "The robe, too."
{Doq mop je.} "Also, the robe is red." That is, something is red, and so is
the robe.

If you use {je} right after the verb, then it means "also, too", but this is
ambiguous (just as the English version is ambiguous):
{Doq je mop.} "The robe is also red." This could mean that either:
Something else is red, and so is the robe.
or
The robe is another color, and the robe is also red.

Your suggestion (using two sentences) is a very good one.
If you want to say that Kahless also speaks English (in addition to
Klingon), then {tlhIngan Hol jatlh qeylIS. DIvI' Hol jatlh je.} works well.
If you want to say that Kahless also speaks English (in addition to Maltz
speaking English), then {DIvI' Hol jatlh matlh. jatlh je qeylIS.} works
here.

- taD