tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 05 15:32:41 2001

Re: NRO latlh

I'd forgotten about that one.  It's not a word I expect to use often.

Note: The reference on the New Words List only gives its source as /HolQeD/.
It is in /HolQeD/ Volume 9, Number 4, page 16.

/tangqa'/ is only an approximation of "bull."  I am not one who likes
misusing words to fit my culture.  I wouldn't call a /targh/ a "dog," or
"pig," for instance.  It is a /targh/.  A car is not a /Duj/ (so far as we
know).  An outdoor vacation place for sleeping is not a /raQ/.  A /tangqa'/
has a vague chance of resembling a water buffalo, but not much of one.
Neither can we use /-Hey/ or /-qoq/ to make these words mean these things.
A /DujHey/ is a thing which appears to be a ship, but the speaker isn't
sure.  Not a car.  A /Dujqoq/ is a thing that is being called a ship, though
it doesn't deserve the name.  It's not being called a car.  Klingons don't
have a word for "water buffalo" any more than we have words for /Qa'/ or
/'er/.

Besides, "May I borrow your towel?  My car just hit a /tangqa'/" isn't
funny.

SuStel
Stardate 1262.1